Retired Officer Handgun Qualification
The Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center offers qualified, retired officers in good standing the opportunity to complete the Nebraska State Handgun Qualification course in one of two ways if their previous agency does not or cannot provide an opportunity for the retired officer to qualify. This service is offered to assist retired officers in meeting the requirements of Federal statute HR 218 to carry a concealed firearm under its provisions.
Retired officers can make an appointment at the NLETC with the lead firearms instructor and shoot the course at NLETC or shoot the qualification course under the supervision of any Nebraska Firearms Instructor at another agency range with the permission of the firearms instructor’s agency.
NLETC does not provide this service to active law enforcement officers. Active officers must qualify through their employing agency.
Requirements to qualify through either program:
- Retired law enforcement officer in good standing with the agency of previous employment as verified through signing Form TC-004B.
- Have a photograph ID from your agency of retirement that identifies you as a retired officer in good standing from the agency.
- One other form of photograph ID to present with your retirement ID.
- Use a safe, functioning handgun that meets range standards. If qualifying at NLETC, you must have 380 caliber, 38 caliber, 357 caliber, 9mm, 10mm, 40 caliber and 45 caliber pistols or revolvers.
- Bring 50 rounds of factory manufactured ammunition for each qualification round you shoot.
Requirements for qualifying at NLETC:
- Sign a waiver of liability TC-038.
- Participate in a range safety class provided on the qualification day, prior to shooting.
- Prior to shooting, pay the seventy five dollar, ($75) fee for the handgun qualification to cover range expenses. Qualification fees are non-refundable.
- Each participant will be permitted two opportunities to qualify on the State fifty round qualification course on any one day.
- Participants who commit safety violations on the range will be removed from shooting that day.
- Participants who fail to qualify may participate in a future qualification date.
Qualifications can also be conducted by Nebraska certified firearms instructors at locations other than at NLETC.
- Instructors are not required to submit any paperwork to NLETC.
- Qualification Card (You are not required to use this card. This is just a template that you can use or you can create your own.)
- Instructors need to maintain records of qualifications conducted.
Contact the NLETC at 308-385-6030 for more information.